Monday, June 6, 2011

Brown-Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cake




Being a former professional pastry chef, I can't believe that I've yet to post one single recipe on my blog! I promise to start sharing a lot more recipes in the future. I still bake a lot, but I always forget to take pictures before everyone digs in! This cake is one of my all time favorites. It is easy to make and not too fancy- just a little dusting of powdered sugar, but it is full of flavor and the brown butter smells like heaven! It makes a great snack cake, simple dessert, or thoughtful hostess gift. A little sliver with a cup of coffee also makes a fabulous breakfast! I hope you love it!
P.S. My husband insists it is best with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :)

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 large mashed bananas
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon table salt1
1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips (tossed with 1 teaspoon flour)
-powdered sugar (for dusting)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Spray either a bundt pan or a decorative cake pan (I have a sunflower pan I like to use) with pan spray and dust with a couple of tablespoons all-purpose flour. Tap out any excess.
-Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. After it melts, continue cooking until it gets foamy and slightly brown. It will begin to have a delicious nutty aroma. Watch it carefully- it will burn fast! Remove pan immediately and carefully strain melted butter into a large mixing bowl. Let cool 10 minutes.
-Whisk the sugar and eggs into the cool, melted butter. Continue whisking for 1 minute.
-Whisk in bananas, salt, and vanilla until well combined.
-Sift flour and baking soda together.
-Fold flour mixture and chocolate chips into batter until just combined. Do not over mix.
-Spread batter into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes.
-Let cool at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.
-When cake is completely cool, dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
-Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, browned butter is so fantastic in baked goods. Your banana cake must have tasted amazing. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete