Friday, July 15, 2011

Zee Avi

Hollywire.com

I heard this charming song the other day while shopping in Anthropologie. I immediately fell in love with the singer's chanteuse-style voice (it reminded me of Zooey Deschanel's sultry sound) paired with a jazzy ukelele. So, I tapped out a few of the lyrics on my phone (so I wouldn't forget) and googled it when I got home.

You were sitting at the coffee table
 where you're reading Kierkegaard
Minutes later, you proceeded to say 
something that almost broke my heart

Up came a song titled You & Me by Zee Avi, another internet discovery, this time a 25-year-old singer-songwriter/guitarist/ukelele player from Malaysia. Her first self-titled album was released in 2009 and is available on iTunes, includes You & Me and another new favorite, Bitter Heart. It feels a bit like traveling through time back to an old-fashioned, jazzier place. I just love it!

Her second album, ghostbird, is due out August 23rd. You can listen to the first single, The Book of Morris Johnson here.

















No comments:

Post a Comment